LOVE GONE WRONG … submit your Valentine’s day flash fiction

Next week’s post is open to everyone inspired to write a 500 word (or less) story with the following theme –

Love gone wrong …

‘Love gone wrong …’ is very open to interpretation re time, setting, genre,  …  characters –

Hamsters

Photo credit: http://bit.ly/1vwx1XO

… circumstance, love itself, or what wrong might mean.  In fiction, the plot of every love story needs conflict, something has to go wrong. A twist on Shakespeare perhaps ….

ten

10 Things I Hate About You movie. Photo credit:http://bit.ly/1DNZSpw

Or even a funny song about Love Gone Wrong … (thank-you Flight of the Conchords)

Girlfriends from the Past …. by Flight of the Conchords

Loretta, broke my heart in a letter

She told me she was leaving and her life would be better

Joan, broke it off over the phone

After the tone, she left me alone

Jen said she’d never ever see me again

When I saw her again, she said it again

Jan met another man

Liza got amnesia, just forgot who I am

Felicity, said there was no electricity

Emily, no chemistry

Fran, ran, she turned out to be a man

Flo had to go, I couldn’t go with the flow

Carol Brown just took a bus out of town

But I’m hoping that you’ll stick around

(Check out the quirky comic duo below)

Back to FLASH FICTION.  What is it? In short—a very short story.

Some FF hints  –

• Start the story in the middle (eg, The woman ran into her lover’s arms, still in his prison uniform …) FF often has abrupt beginnings and sudden endings.
  • A little mystery goes a long way—make the mystery worthwhile, lure the reader to the end.
  • The fewer characters the better.
  • Flash fiction often ends in a twist, or a punch line.
  • Flash fiction is a complete story (has a beginning, middle and end). It’s often rich in interpretation, compressed and highly charged.
  • Ask yourself, is every word essential to your story?
  • FF can be prose, poetry, a song.

The South Australian Writers Centre’s description of flash fiction is here

It’s easy, just submit your work in the comments section of my next post (I’ll publish 9am Saturday 14 February, Sydney, Australia time)

500 words or less, with your name and the link to your blog if you have one. (That way readers can go and check out what else you get up to if they wish. Or they can comment on my post and you can chat amongst yourselves.)

Perhaps you already have something in mind? Or an idea might pop into your head on a walk, driving the car, taking a shower, watching TV  …..

No explicit erotica, thanks.

Theme – Love gone wrong …….

Love is in the air, or not!

cupid 1

Photo credit: http://bit.ly/1DNWWtc

This entry was posted in flash fiction, flash fiction romance, Love Gone Wrong, romance, Romantic comedy, romantic suspense, short love story, Valentines Day, writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to LOVE GONE WRONG … submit your Valentine’s day flash fiction

1. OMG I am soooo doing this! Excited Susan!

2. I will attempt this Dusan but cannot guarantee. But I love the idea and thanks fur Concords. That was a treat. 😃

3. susielindau says:

I’m watchingValentine’s Day which is filled with love and hate!
    Have fun with the flash fiction!

4. Marigold says:

This is awesome! I read your email too and I’ve already got ideas for a Vampire Valentine… I’ll do this for my weekly mini story post (didn’t realise that flash fiction could be as long as 1000 words! Thanks for the SAWC link) so expect it Thursday!
    A vampire who gives his love his heart… literally. Talk about love gone wrong!

• Thanks for the reblog, Marigold, I don’t see a lot of Aussie flash fiction in blogland.
      Did I mention Pan McMillan’s Bad Romeo short story competition? Sounds suitable for a vampire, even a heartless one!

• Marigold says:

Yes! You gave me the link in an email. Took me a while to get to it. I’m actually going to go with some sort of court case, I think. Have you entered yet?

5. Marigold says:

Reblogged this on Versus Blurb and commented:
    Soooo doing this! Anyone else want to join in?

6. Deborah says:

Oh, I’ll have to try to think of something!

7. See what bubbles up on your morning walks along gorgeous Hervey Bay, Deb. Oh my, would love to be doing that right now! 🙂

8. livelytwist says:

Great idea. I enjoy FF, but my plate is too full. Thanks for the tips, it’s nice to have a refresher course now and again.
    Lol@ no explicit erotica 🙂

9. suzjones says:

I remember when the First Born was a Teen. She loved 10 Things I Hate About You and had that quote printed out and up on her wardrobe doors. lol Thanks for the flashback memory. 🙂

10. 10 Things I Hate About You and Taming of The Shrew (Shakespeare Retold + Elizabeth Taylor version) are one of my favourite plots, Sue. Perhaps I can relate to shrews? 🙂

11. Lee-Anne says:

A great idea Susan, love FF.

Poppet and I watched ‘Ten Things’ recently and loved it, AGAIN. But so bitter-sweet…Keith Ledger.

12. Pingback: Flash Fiction Response: From the Heart | Versus Blurb

13. kp2708 says:

Here’s my flash fiction, Susan!:)

Ma’s bakery

‘Why don’t we try this place?’ Emma said hopefully as they drew near the sign. Ma’s bakery it declared, sending thoughts of comforting coffee and cake into her mind. They’d gone straight past McDonald’s when they saw the line up from the freeway off ramp. School holidays. ‘Kids should be locked up in camps,’ Blake had said half jokingly Emma let that slide. He would try again, despite what he’d said.

‘If we have to,’ Blake replied as he slowed to turn into the driveway. He wanted to get home and stop talking. What a weekend for a family get-together, he thought ruefully. Everyone still thought they were still trying, especially Emma. Giving her some time out for a coffee was the least he could do; not that it would help with the choice they had to make: a baby or Emma. He wished he could believe having both was still possible, like Emma did.

Ma shut the cool room door as the bell introduced a new car into the courtyard. She peered at the security camera screen as Emma and Blake pulled in. He’ll be suitable, Ma thought as Blake stepped out of the car. He looked like an actor she’d seen in the weekly gossip magazines, and would definitely encourage the community’s sympathy. The good looking ones always raised a sizeable amount from public appeals.

Emma got out of the car slowly and shut the car door gingerly, before moving her hair away from her jaundiced looking skin. Ma stiffened. She’d looked like that too, except her wig had been far less attractive. There wasn’t as much choice in those days.

Ma watched as the man put his arm around her protectively, the woman looking even frailer beside his muscle-bound frame. Dennis hadn’t come near her once she started treatment, and had run off with Delia from next door, his tolerance for sickness and sadness having disappeared over the years. But karma dealt its blow when he succumbed to the same illness, and Delia left him, like he’d left Ma.

The banging from the store room faded as Ma walked up the stairs and shut the cellar door that led to the bakery. They were always noisy at first. Then, when they realised she wasn’t going to hurt them, and she explained her plan, they would become more helpful. In the end they all applauded her chutzpah. She had raised over $1m for the charity this way, and not one of the ransom victims had ever turned her in. All thanks to Dennis. Nothing compared with the energy and focus of a scorned woman.

Ma looked out the window at the cars still parked there. I’ll need to take a few more down to the shed tonight, she thought as she put on her megawatt smile and slipped into charm mode.
    She could relax. These customers were only getting coffee and cake.

For more stories by Kristina, you can visit http://www.kristinapawliw.com

• Oh my goodness, Christina, I admire your imagination!! Your theme reminds me of Anne Lamott saying in her book on writing, Bird by Bird, there is a dark door and as a writer you must go past it. You have Ma down to a tee. Thanks! 🙂

14. Susan says:

She didn’t want to go out. Her life as she had known it for the past 15 years had come to an abrupt end, abandoned by her husband, leaving her with two beautiful little girls, a dog, cat and a mortgage to try and comes to terms with. Her friends saw her slowly fading away and made her get out of bed, get dressed and put on a bit of makeup. It was only a dance at the local club. She went begrudgingly. They encouraged her to the dance floor. Behind her sat a man, watching her intently sway to the music. He was going through the same pain. It did not stop him from running after her when she decided that she had, had enough and just wanted to get home to her sleeping babies to make sure they were safe and to relieve the babysitter who had willingly put her plans aside to earn a few dollars. He introduced himself and asked for her number. What the heck … she was not used to this but as she looked into his beautiful eyes, she recognized something and felt that her decision was right.
    A couple of days went by and then the phone call. Should she agree to meet him? The memory of those eyes with their haunted but knowing gaze flashed in front of her and before she knew it, they were making plans to meet. The attraction was instant. Their souls seemed to be as one. There was still a sense of fear. Neither of them wanted to commit. The day came when he said he was going overseas to live. He had been offered a job which would mean a brand new start for him. Too good to pass up. Her heart was broken. She kissed him goodbye and got on with her life, all the while with him deep inside her heart. Sixteen years later while surfing Face Book, there he was. She hesitated over the ‘send friend request’ button but something made her press it. Within minutes, they were reunited once again. Both single. Both exhilarated at finding each other again.
    Walking down the steps of the train station, there he was. She gasped at the sight of him. So unwell but with the same beautiful eyes she loved in an instant at that first meeting so many years ago. She knew at that moment they had to make the most of their time. Valentine’s day arrived and she spent 3 hours on the bus to sit by his side in hospital. The truth was so hard to accept as she wept for the 3 hour trip back home that night. This was her routine for the next three weekends. Finally, he was discharged but still unwell. Deep down inside she knew ………………………………………….. A heart-wrenching message from his daughter. “This is Rachel. Mario’s daughter. I am sorry to tell you like this but Dad passed away suddenly yesterday morning.” A single yellow tulip her only sign.

• This is the ultimate love gone wrong, Sue. To share souls with another is an emotional experience most of us don’t have. And the pain of losing that special bond must be unique too. I hope this story continues on a happier note, for me the yellow tulip is like a sign of hope. xx
      PS So you believe in love at first sight?