Next week’s post is open to everyone inspired to write a 500 word (or less) story with the following theme –
Love gone wrong …
‘Love gone wrong …’ is very open to interpretation re time, setting, genre, … characters –
… circumstance, love itself, or what wrong might mean. In fiction, the plot of every love story needs conflict, something has to go wrong. A twist on Shakespeare perhaps ….
Or even a funny song about Love Gone Wrong … (thank-you Flight of the Conchords)
Girlfriends from the Past …. by Flight of the Conchords
Loretta, broke my heart in a letter
She told me she was leaving and her life would be better
Joan, broke it off over the phone
After the tone, she left me alone
Jen said she’d never ever see me again
When I saw her again, she said it again
Jan met another man
Liza got amnesia, just forgot who I am
Felicity, said there was no electricity
Emily, no chemistry
Fran, ran, she turned out to be a man
Flo had to go, I couldn’t go with the flow
Carol Brown just took a bus out of town
But I’m hoping that you’ll stick around
(Check out the quirky comic duo below)
Back to FLASH FICTION. What is it? In short—a very short story.
Some FF hints –
- Start the story in the middle (eg, The woman ran into her lover’s arms, still in his prison uniform …) FF often has abrupt beginnings and sudden endings.
- A little mystery goes a long way—make the mystery worthwhile, lure the reader to the end.
- The fewer characters the better.
- Flash fiction often ends in a twist, or a punch line.
- Flash fiction is a complete story (has a beginning, middle and end). It’s often rich in interpretation, compressed and highly charged.
- Ask yourself, is every word essential to your story?
- FF can be prose, poetry, a song.
The South Australian Writers Centre’s description of flash fiction is here
It’s easy, just submit your work in the comments section of my next post (I’ll publish 9am Saturday 14 February, Sydney, Australia time)
500 words or less, with your name and the link to your blog if you have one. (That way readers can go and check out what else you get up to if they wish. Or they can comment on my post and you can chat amongst yourselves.)
Perhaps you already have something in mind? Or an idea might pop into your head on a walk, driving the car, taking a shower, watching TV …..
No explicit erotica, thanks.
Theme – Love gone wrong …….
Love is in the air, or not!